The number (6 total) of Big 4 alternatives to this indie dress proves something about fashion design, for sure.
- New Look 6723
- Vogue 8667
- Butterick 5982
- Simplicity 1419
- Simplicity 1873
- New Look 6143
(all amounts in USD)
First up, New Look 6723:
- No collar, but two different neckline variations.
- Connects the two darts into an armhole princess on the front.
- Armhole princess on the back, rather than the shoulder princess the darts on the indie original might indicate.
- Variations for sleeveless, same 3/4 sleeve, or short sleeve but with puffy gathers.
- Full belt instead of bow attachment at center front.
- Comes with a purse pattern!
Similarly, Vogue 8667:
- Yay, collar! If you’re into that kind of thing. The front collar, however, is unbroken, whereas the indie has points on both front and back collars.
- Armhole princess seams, front and back, again.
- Sleeveless or smooth cap sleeve only; no long sleeves here.
- Variations for straight skirt, A-line, or A-line with pleat panel, instead of gathered.
Last armhole princess lookalike, Butterick 5982:
- Bust dart on top of armhole princess on the front
- Back only has waist darts, no shoulder darts
- No collar, but two neckline variations
- Sleeveless or short-sleeve variations only
- Gathered skirt has option of tiering different fabrics, such as creating a pseudo-ombre effect
- Full belt with a bow instead of bow attachment at center front
For the anti-princess seamers, Lisette for Simplicity 1419 and Cynthia Rowley for Simplicity 1873, because honestly, once you take out the embellishing details, the bodice shaping looks the same on both to me:
- Do you like sleeveless, cap sleeves, or gathered sleeves?
- Do you like a Peter Pan collar, a keyhole neckline (thanks, Roisin!), an unadorned jewel neck, or a deeper scoop neckline?
- Do you want a “loose fitting cape jacket” or a lapeled jacket with what Simplicity calls peplum but really looks more like ruffles?
- Both dresses have gathered skirts, front bust and waist darts, and back waist darts only. Neither have back shoulder darts.
And finally, New Look 6143:
- Darts! No back shoulder darts. Hmm, this leads me to believe that the Big 4 draft their shoulder darts into the center back seam, which is less fussy to sew.
- Pleated skirt instead of gathering the fullness, whatever floats your boat.
- Sleeveless! Cap sleeves! 3/4 sleeves!
- No collar, but that’s not such a loss, in my book. Instead, there’s an option for a contrasting front yoke, which is a little more contemporary than a vintage point collar.