Welcome to Fail Bingo with SSSF!
(Because we don’t host project sewalongs at SSSF; we host sewing project fail-a-longs.)
In honor of the Sewaholic Granville and Oakridge releases currently taking the SBC by storm, our inaugural Fail Bingo will be the Tailored Shirt Fail-A-Long. Not interested in buying the Sewaholic patterns and/or need to exercise restraint? We’ve got you covered with Big 4 and Burda pattern alternatives.
From now until April 30, join your fellow hamcats in the joyful process of saving money by sewing yourself a tailored shirt. With every stumbling block encountered and swear uttered, mark off a square on your very own Tailored Shirt Fail Bingo card!* The first person to get Bingo, let us know about it, and provide photographic evidence of your 5-in-a-row gets…bragging rights that they are the Failingest Failure to Ever Fail.
- Rip out same seam > 3x
- Need to recut a piece
- Cutting out 2 rights or 2 lefts, like sleeves
- Forgetting to cut a piece entirely
- Sew a piece on backwards
- Cut a piece off-grain
- Buttonhole too small for button
- 3+ muslins and still not right
- Unpressed seams
- Serged/cut an unintentional hole in the fabric
- Broke a needle
- Ran out of thread
- Uneven topstitching
- Battle wounds (iron burns, needle pokes, cuts on hands)
- Not enough fabric
- Finished the shirt and it’s a wadder
- Didn’t finish the shirt
- Cut the wrong size
- SSSF for tower plackets, short sleeves instead
- Pattern match/print placement fail
- Forgot to staystitch, stretched out neckline
- Interfacing fail
- General button fail (ran out of buttons, mismatched buttons, clashing buttons)
- Poor fabric choice (outside your skillset, i.e., silk chiffon)
- Free space! Drinking Franzia/Eating Cheetos
Share your fails on the social media platform of your choice with the hashtag #failbingoSSSF. If you don’t want to out yourself, email us the pic at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll post the picture as sent, no edits, on the SSSF Instagram (@sssfblog).
For those of you interested in constructive toile/muslin critiques, we’ve got you covered via the Flickr group for SSSF Fitting. Regular rules apply, except there will be no individual, introductory blog posts (but telling your critics what you want out of the shirt and areas of help would be greatly appreciated).
* Making Your Own Bingo Card
We did all the hard work so you wouldn’t have to. Copy this entire link (ends at “#results”) to generate your bingo card, then print out your card (a different card will generate every time you visit the link).